Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tales of a Dress

"But I swear I never wore it"
"I swear I never did"
The woman stared back at me,
though I knew it was all a fib.

I remember when she called,
I remember when she came
"I need your advice;
I have a special event and just anything will not suffice"

Through the racks we had journeyed
Countless dresses we had tried:
every color every shape, could I help it if her hips were a bit too wide?

At last one was perfect
It had fit like a glove
Its long train trailed behind as she walked.
As graceful as a dove

She left my sight happy,
she left my sight pleased.
For there's no better feeling than knowing:
everyone's attention your dress will seize.

And now here she is two weeks later,
telling me she changed her mind;
making excuses of how it didn't fit
Something about its zipper not able to bind

I wish she would stop,
put her story at a halt.
Now she's looking back at me
as though it were all my fault.

She went to her party,
she had looked like a queen.
Everyone loved what she was wearing,
and she just loved being seen.

But now the music has stopped
and everybody went home.
That's when she finally realized:
the dress she could not afford.

"I want my money back" she continued,
"The dress was just wrong"
like white after Labor Day,
or a bad break-up song.

I gave her the refund,
that's all I can do.
The customer is always right they tell me,
even if they call a yellow cab blue.

Just another day in the office.
A client I add to my black list.
Now please, how can I help you?
I would just love to assist!

No comments:

Post a Comment