Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tart Heaven in Soho

The city was hit with the most bizarre weather this past Saturday.  Friday was all about the summer: 90 degrees, high humidity, and the sun beaming down on you.  However, less than 24 hours later, the temperature had dropped 20 degrees and it was nonstop drizzling in the city.  It wasn't the best day to be walking around, but this was exactly what my friend Jennifer and I were doing when the weather took its unfortunate turn.

So, when the downpour really hit, we were quickly scouring for a place to hide.  That's how we literally stumbled into Once Upon a Tart.  Once Upon a Tart is located in the heart of Soho (on Sullivan Street just south of West Houston) and features the most delectable selection of tarts, pastries, and pies I had seen in the city.  The warm ambiance and old fashioned decor made me feel like I was back in Paris. It was clear upon arrival that this cafe is for the locals.  No ridiculous lines or outrageously priced foods.
So what does one order in such a place? Well, it seemed a sin to not order a tart... when the place was named for tarts. So I settled for the lemon tart, and let me just say it was a little tart from heaven.  A flaky crust and semi-sweet filling. DELISH! Of course, the menu wasn't limited to those with an extra sweet tooth.  The cafe featured a delightful selection of soups, salads, and sandwiches.  What more can I ask for on a cold rainy day?
Lemon  Tart. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment