Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Broadway Night

Even though it was late into the evening the night air was still thick with heat and humidity from the scorching day.  The tour bus ten feet away was providing an additional yet unnecessary source of heat from its engine.  The show ended almost an hour ago and I am wedged between countless fans as we all await anxiously for the back doors of the Al Hirschfeld Theatre to open.


The show of the evening was "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" starring Harry Potter's own Daniel Radcliffe and veteran actor John Larroquette.  The play was originally based on Shepherd Mead's 1952 book of the same title.  It features of the story of J. Pierrepont Finch's (Radcliffe) journey from a window washer to vice president of the fictitious company World Wide Wicket Company.  The satiric comedy brings light into the promotion strategies of some corporate business world's best employees - with a few light-hearted musical numbers of course! If Glee and The Office ever had a child, it would be this play.


Daniel Radcliffe's long awaited appearance.
My adventure however started when the final number ended.  Even before the last stanza was sung my party and I made our way to the back door in hopes of capturing a few autographs of the cast.  We made our way toward the front and settled on standing second row behind the barricade. As the minutes passed, our numbers grew until we were huddled in tightly like sardines. Waiting patiently for their appearance.  One by one they made their appearance and I pushed my wait through the first row, my program clawed in my hand.  I felt the light pressure of someone as they scribbled on it, but I wasn't sure if I was successful until I pulled the program in front of me and saw it: a slightly dented Broadway show program boasting the full cast's autograph. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Sweet success!


No comments:

Post a Comment