Wednesday, April 6, 2011

If you're going New York, you gotta get that trench coat!




As Spring creeps its way into the city, so does the unpredictable and confusing weather.  One day you ditch the puffer jackets and scarves and reach for a cardigan to put over your new dress; the next day it's snowing outside, this seriously happened a few weeks ago.





Humphrey Bogart's trench
 in the classic film Cassablanca
And of course, with Spring comes rain.  But not any kind of rain, cold rain that's pierces through your skin like ice blades.  The rain comes whenever it feels ready to fall from the sky, which had me asking: What jacket do I reach for in the morning?


The solution came to me while watching my favorite classic, Breakfast at Tiffany's.  What I need was... a trench coat!  Not one of those fashion trench coats that's only for show. I'm talking about a real waterproof, fully lined, tradition trench coat.  It surprised me that such a simple solution took so long for me to realize.  I mean, trench coats are so chic, so timeless and classical, so very NYC! I had to act immediately, good trench coats with the perfect fit are hard to come by. And so, after weeks of frustration and too many retailers to count, I finally got my own version of this timeless classic. My choice? DKNY's Envelope Collar belted trench! Bring on those April showers NYC! 
Audrey Hepburn donned a classic trench for
the final scene of Breakfast at Tiffany's.


Harry Potter's Emma Watson posed for Burbery's
  2010 Spring/Summer campaign
History Blast- How did it all start? Trench coats were popularized during WWI when French and British soldiers were looking for a better alternative to their heavy serge greatcoats.  The trench coat became an optional item of dress in the British Army, and was obtained by private purchase by officers and Warrant Officers Class I.  No other ranks were permitted to wear them.  Thomas Burberry submitted a design to the UK War Office in 1901.  Burberry trench coats still stand the test of time.
In my new trench while strolling Soho's cobblestone streets.



No comments:

Post a Comment