Saturday, April 30, 2011

2011 Tribeca Film Festival - Neon Flesh

Perhaps my favorite part about now living in New York City is that all those exciting events that I used to see covered in the news and magazines are literally just a few city blocks away.  Case in point: the Tribeca Film Festival.  Before my relocation the only access I gained to this event was through the lens of E! News' camera. This year however, I had the privilege of attending a screening of one of these cinematic masterpieces: Neon Flesh (Carne de Neon).


Quick History: The Tribeca Film Festival was founded by Jane Rosenthal, Robert DeNiro, and Craig Hatkoff in hope of raising tourism and vitality into the neighborhood.  



The film: Neon Flesh is a Spanish film written and directed by Paco Cabezas.  It tells the story of Ricky, who was left alone on the streets when his prostitute mother was sent to jail.  Due to his desire to gain acceptance from the mother he barely knows, Ricky sets a plan in motion that will tangled and threaten to destroy the lives of everyone around him.

While I was hesitant at the start of the film, I was instantly hooked. Despite what appears to be an excessive amount of violence, sexism, and impossible chance occurrences many themes are still evident.   Messages such as: the great measures a child would take to gain a mother's love as well as the sacrifices a parent makes for the safety of their children are just a few examples.  My favorite underlying message is perhaps the fact that despite a harsh life full of drugs, sex, and violence, one doesn't have to lose what they believe - as evident throughout Ricky's actions and choices. 

While I detest action movies of today, Neon Flesh shows that action movies can be just as fulfilling as some drama films.  Perhaps because it doesn't rely on an overdose of special effect tools to do its work.  If one has an opportunity to see this film, I would recommend you jump at the chance!





No comments:

Post a Comment