Thursday, January 19, 2012

New York Meanie

I moved into the city around the same time as my friend Britney (who also writes a great blog called The Why that everyone should check out!)  and we had the chance to transition into the status of "New Yorker" together.

We had sworn up-and-down that we would never let living in New York turn us into the snotty-blasé-know-it-alls that charge through the streets, careening everything in sight. 

In time however the New York toxic seeping into me and I caught myself:
  • hating tourists and the cliche spots they flock to
  • Yelping every restaurant, bar, and lounge. (and trusting their advice!)
  • bull-rushing innocent by-standers to catch the train
  • jaywalking as I see fit
  • searching for those 'hidden, underground delicious restaurants that only the locals know about'
Yes I am sad to say I have been guilty of these acts in more than one occasion. What happened? How had I let myself become a snotty-blasé-know-it-all New Yorker I swore to hate forever? Well, now that I am aware of my attitudinal downfall I hope I may change my ways!

For a more humorous illustration of what I'm talking about, check out this "Sh*t New Yorkers Say" video and tell me what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment