Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Girl's Worst Friend?

Marilyn Monroe taught us ladies that diamonds are a girl's best friend right?  Apparently her song also subliminally told us that these precious jewels had to be gifted to us by the gentlemen of our lives. 

Breakfast at Tiffany's Holly Golightly knew a thing or two
about the importance of diamonds.
While it's true that in addition to a continental kiss on our hands we'd like to see a sparkling baguette set sliding up another I have to ask: what comes to those of us who don't have a man in our lives at the moment who's willing to gift us with diamentes that sparkle and shine?  Are we doomed to go through life (literally) empty-handed until our Mr. Right decides to walk through the door?

This line of thought came to me when I showed one of my girlfriends my Christmas gift to well, myself: David Yurman's black onyx ring.  A little piece I've admired from afar since I saw it featured in Vogue's glossy pages seasons back; and Christmas seemed like the perfect time to make such a splurge.  My euphoria was cut short however when my friend commented "It's gorgeous, but I can't believe you buy your own rings Laurie, that's what you get guys to get you."

While this was an ideal situation to hope upon, unfortunately this single-girl doesn't have a guy to grant such a wish - or a fairy godmother for that matter.  I'm not sure what kind of back road shortcut my Prince Charming took, but I didn't bet on him showing up with this diamond in hand so soon.  

So I thought it nothing to take matters into my own hands and buy my own jewels.  I mean, isn't that what Samantha Jones advocated in the first Sex and the City movie?  

Now don't worry Prince Charming, I have nine other fingers that are still waiting to be decorated. (wink wink)
Marilyn Monroe sings "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friends" from the 1953 motion picture "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".

No comments:

Post a Comment