Monday, August 1, 2011

The Most Famous Pizza of Them All

I didn't have to move to New York to know that the city and pizza go hand-in-hand.  Many NYC-based movies such as Spider Man 2, Saturday Night Fever, Manhattan, and Dog Day Afternoon have all placed a little highlight to the Neapolitan cuisine- not that the little pie doesn't deserve it,  I mean (pizza) was there for me in slumber parties, late-night study sessions, and now as a comfort food in an unfamiliar metropolis.

It's safe to say that there is an endless debate as to which pizzaria in the city bakes up the best slice.  From Little Italy to Hell's Kitchen, many will argue one way or another as to their favorite.  For me however, I was pretty impartial to the whole debate, a pizza was a pizza.  This changed however when my friend Britney got me to cross over to Brooklyn to try the famous Grimaldi Pizza.
Old-fashioned skills.

Stolen snapshot from the kitchen.
Located literally under the Brooklyn Bridge, Grimaldi's has been drawing crowds of people since it opened in .
A line extending down Old Fulton Street is a standard sight outside of the little Italian dwelling.  Once you make it past the threshold however, you are transported to Pizza Nirvana.  Pizza the way the Italians and New York intended that is: thin crust and customized toppings. Frank Sinatra (supposedly a regular of Grimaldi's during his time) and other oldies music serenades through the jukebox while we relaxed in the ambiance of my post-pizza bliss. Yes, I would have to say that the hour and half we spent waiting in line was time very well-spent.


A typical line outside. Our wait time? Approximately an hour and a half.
PS: Totally worth the wait!
Britney and our pie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment